Haiti’s top prosecutor asked the judge investigating the assassination of President Jovenel Moise on Tuesday press charges against the prime minister Ariel Henry, due to the alleged phone calls he would have had with one of the main suspects in the crime.
Bed-Ford Claude, commissioner of the government of Port-au-Prince, a figure equivalent to the prosecutor, also asked that Henry be prohibited from leaving Haitian territory “due to the seriousness of the facts exposed.”
Moses was assassinated on July 7 by an armed commando in his home in Port-au-Prince.
“There are enough compromising elements that form (my) conviction about the opportunity to impute Mr. Henry and to request his indictment pure and simple,” said the prosecutor in a letter addressed to the court of first instance in Port-au-Prince.
In a second note, addressed to the director of migration, the government commissioner justifies the measure of prohibiting Henry from leaving the country, pointing out the “serious presumptions of assassination of the President of the Republic”.
Friday night, Bed-Ford Claude He had already invited the head of the government to appear on Tuesday before the prosecution. The prosecutor claimed that Henry, a few hours after Moise’s murder, had telephone conversations with one of the people actively wanted in the context of the investigation.
It’s about Joseph Félix Badio, former figure of the anti-corruption unit, a department of the Ministry of Justice, who was allegedly geolocated in the neighborhood where Jovenel Moise’s private residence is located due to calls made to Ariel Henry at 04H03 and then at 04H20 in the morning of the attack.
On Saturday, Henry had denounced the prosecutor’s “diversionary maneuvers”.
“Distraction maneuvers to create confusion and preventing justice from doing its job calmly will not pass, “said Henry.
“The real culprits, the intellectual authors and the sponsors of the heinous assassination of President Jovenel Moise will be found, brought to justice and punished for their crime,” he added.
Forty-eight people, including 18 Colombians and two Americans of Haitian origin, they have been arrested as part of the investigation into the murder of Moise, shot to death at his residence without any of the members of his private guard being injured.
Source: AP and AFP