Former film producer Harvey Weinstein, who has been serving a sentence of 23 years jail for sexual assaults in New York, he is on his way to Los Angeles, where he will have to answer for other alleged attacks in a second process.
Weinstein, 69, left Wende Prison in upstate New York on Tuesday and was handed over “to the right people to be transferred to the state of California“said a spokesman for the New York prison authority in a statement.
Lawyers for the disgraced mogul had opposed this transfer for weeks, citing medical reasons. But Judge Kenneth Case rejected his arguments and gave the green light for his extradition to Los Angeles on June 15.
Weinstein is charged in California with rape and sexual assault of five women, charges that could lead to up to 140 years in prison.
The former film producer denies all accusations in Los Angeles and New York, and says their relationships were always spoiled.
Harvey Weisntein was sentenced last year to 23 years in prison. Photo: AFP
In early April, he formally appealed his conviction for rape and sexual assault in New York, imposed in March 2020 after a media trial in Manhattan that was seen as a great victory for the #MeToo movement.
Weinstein was convicted of a criminal sexual act in the first degree and rape in the third degree in February 2020. Instead, he was acquitted of charges of predatory sexual assault.
The emergence of #MeToo
Weinstein, who was the most powerful film producer in Hollywood, was convicted after a trial that gave his victims a voice and cemented the demands of the #MeToo feminist movement, which catalyzed his scandal.
Almost 90 womenActresses including Angelina Jolie and Salma Hayek have brought sexual misconduct allegations against Weinstein, an Oscar winner for numerous hits, including “Shakespeare in Love.”
But the trial focused on charges related to only two women.
Weinstein was convicted of raping former actress Jessica Mann in 2013 and of forcibly performing oral sex on former production assistant Mimi Haleyi in 2006.
It was also learned that several of the women sexually abused and harassed while working for Weinstein’s company will receive a millionaire financial compensation, according to an agreement released by the New York Attorney General’s Office.
During the Golden Globes delivery in 2018, the actresses dressed in black in a message against gender violence and accompanied it with a pin that said Time’s Up in support of the initiative against sexual harassment at work. Photo: AFP.
The pact arose as a result of a lawsuit filed by the Prosecutor’s Office in February 2018 against the producer, his company Weinstein and his brother Robert Weinstein for maintaining a hostile work environment.
Also from a class action filed separately by a group of women who were sexually harassed and assaulted by Weinstein.
The settlement was made for $ 19 million and guarantees that women who experienced a hostile work environment, sexual harassment and gender discrimination while working for the company, as well as sexual abuse by the famous producer, have the right to obtain restitution. of the fund that has been created for victims.
“Harvey Weinstein and the company failed their employees. After all the harassment, threats and discrimination, these survivors finally get some justice,” court officials said.
This agreement release the victims from any confidentiality agreement related to any sexual conduct of Weinstein that they have signed with the producer, his company or any of his previous representatives.
“It was a long and grueling battle in the Manhattan courtroom,” said actress Caitlin Dulany, who is part of the class action lawsuit.
With information from agencies.