ASBURY PARK, N.J. — New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy signed a half dozen payments into legislation as a part of a laws package deal meant to handle the state’s opioid disaster.
The governor says the payments use overdose prevention and restoration resilience, whereas increasing entry to medicine assisted remedy, strengthening public well being dated and constructing resiliency amongst kids and households impacted by the disaster.
“During the last three years, my Administration, alongside our companions within the Legislature and lots of passionate advocates, has labored to meaningfully fight the opioid disaster that has held our state in its grip for a lot too lengthy,” mentioned Murphy in a press release. “We now have labored tirelessly to erase the stigma related to opioid use dysfunction and individuals who use medication, shut gaps in remedy, develop entry and use of life-saving medicines like naloxone, and help the work of syringe trade applications and hurt discount facilities. The combat in opposition to the opioid epidemic has required a give attention to hurt discount by offering protected and compassionate entry factors to care and by securing funding for very important applications and restoration companies. By signing these payments as we speak, we’re strengthening the muse of those vital sources and applications, holding households collectively, and furthering our dedication to saving lives and ending the opioid epidemic in New Jersey.”
The payments signed into legislation do the next:
- Revise and develop authorization for any individual or entity to acquire, distribute, and administer opioid antidotes.
- Allow sure paramedics to manage buprenorphine.
- Require Division of Client Affairs to publish retail worth of sure opioid antidotes.
- Allow faculty districts to manage pupil well being surveys after prior written notification to oldsters and authorized guardians.
- Require DCF or court docket to think about placement of youngsters with family or kinship guardians when making placement resolution; makes modifications to sure requirements for initiating petitions to terminate parental rights.
- Require sure well being insurers, Medicaid, NJ FamilyCare, SHBP, and SEHBP to cowl naloxone with out imposing prior authorization necessities.
“The opioid epidemic is a nationwide public well being disaster that devastates households every single day,” mentioned U.S. Rep. Frank Pallone. “We all know that hurt discount is vital to saving lives and getting the assistance people who are suffering from opioid use dysfunction must fight this epidemic. As Chairman of the Vitality and Commerce Committee, I’ve helped move laws in Congress to handle this disaster and can proceed to work on the federal degree to save lots of lives. I’m proud to affix Governor Murphy as we speak as we take one other step ahead in increasing entry to remedies and lifesaving drugs in our state.”